Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Apple's next strategy: Smartbook with games?

Apple has been pretty cozy with Nvidia and from what I can tell, it is readying a smartbook product. However, what could Apple have up its sleeve to distinguish it from the competition? I think an app store that caters to such a market. The games in such a store could utilize much finer and sophisticated graphics (maybe coded in OpenCL, Nvidia's language for its graphics chips)? In essence, it could be the iphone and ipod touch merged into one! Or alternatively, a netbook used as a phone and also for gaming. Apple has been known to make products that are very simple but elegant and I would expect no less from such a device. I would say mid next year would be an ideal time for such a launch. ARM based CPU + Nvidia graphics is my bet for the hardware.

No comments: