Thursday, August 21, 2008

An idea from my bike+VTA commute

I got an idea from personal experience and doing some reading. How about a mix of personal and public transportation? I rode my bike to the train station, got on it with the bike, got off and biked to the destination. So why not have some cheap electric bikes to do the last legs, and then have trains for the long haul. You can either buy your own bike and pay more for carrying it on, or there can be a ride-share service at each station. Sounds like a great idea to me. I wonder how the economics of something like this would work. Probably have to start seeing what an electric bike can/cannot do - you'd need approx. 5 miles of charge and be able to recharge at home and at the station. Whatsay?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something like bike rentals at the atrain station?

the revenue model/business case might be tough.

Stimit said...

Well, Walmart is already selling them and for pretty cheap too ($175)!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5662772&sourceid=16507746853676613133