Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Idea factory: What I'd want from a new phone

I was thinking what I'd want in a new phone. Not that I need one, but I do need a camera. And hence what if I could get a phone with a decent camera, say 3 megapixels, with 3x zoom. Throw in a 1GB memory stick. But that's not the design win I foresee. How about adding blazing fast Wi-fi (remember, this is not 3G but plain vanilla wifi). Say the Android OS. So now you can use Picasa to sync photos you got on your cellphone with your comp over the Wi-fi. And if possible, throw in music player functionality too!

What price point would such a phone retail? Now sell this phone direct to consumer without the networks to intermediate. You just get the SIM card from them and pay per month. No need of data plan. This would work with the GSM guys only (Cingular, T-mobile).

So maybe the price point turns out to be a little too high for stupid Americans who think it's fine to pay 200 bucks upfront and get suckered into a 2 year contract with a $30 data plan. Instead, maybe Google can subsidize the cost of such a phone and force you to watch some ads while browsing? With the new "open" wireoless spectrum that was freed up with the digitization of TV signals, we could have over the air Wi-Fi? Now wouldn't that be a compelling alternative and a breath of fresh air compares to the old school telcos. Hmm..not if only I could get someone to buy into this idea :) Oh wait..Nokia already designed this into the N95 and it retails at buy.com for 350 bucks. Google..want to drop that price to 150?

No comments: